The temple is located near the limits of the walled Hospitallier city, close to Ancient Agora of Kos
and it is dated since the late Byzantine
period. The altar table in the bema
consists of an inscribed marble plaque and a rectangular marble altar. Next to the church is
the tomb of Archbishop Gerasimos
of Kos (1838) and his mother
According to the Metropolis of Kos in the late 18th century
St. George was a dependency (metochion) of the church
of Agia Marina and stood in a fenced
vineyard with farm-building.
Later, when Arrenagogeion (Elementary School for Boys) was established, the church was included in the school yard and took the prosonym Saint George toy Arrenagogeioy.
After the earthquake of 1933, while the Boys'
school was destroyed, the church of
St. George was one of the few
buildings that survived.