Kos town is the capital of Kos Island, also known as the garden of the Aegean. Inviting, colourful and full of flavours and aromas, Kos town is as diverse as the island itself. The multicultural character of the island is primarily evident through the significant archeological sites from different historical periods; ancient temples dedicated to Greek Gods, Mediaeval castles, Ottoman mosques and former public Italian buildings, have shaped an extraordinary blend of cultures and civilisations revealing right before your eyes as you walk through the city.
One of the most important locations on the island is the historic Phoinikon Street or Palm Tree Avenue, which is located just below the Mediaeval Castle of the Knights (or Castle of Neratzia). Over the arched stone bridge which stands unshaken through the centuries, visitors can find one of Kos’ most popular sights, the Plane Tree of Hippocrates. The tree is associated with Hippocrates, proving the island's strong connection to the founding father of modern medicine. The entrance of the Knight’s Castle and the impressive Loggia Mosque, built in 1786, are also found in this square.
Eleftherias square is a point of reference for locals and visitors alike, situated right above the port of Kos, among the Archeological Museum of Kos, the public library and the municipal market. The square acquired its current structure and arrangement after the great earthquake of 1933, as did many of the surrounding buildings. Visitors are able to admire the historical and cultural significance of Kos simply by standing in the middle of the square; monuments of the Hellenistic, Roman, Byzantine, Mediaeval, Ottoman and Italian Occupation eras.
Around Eleftherias square, visitors may wander around the historical centre of Kos, stroll through the scenic narrow alleys of Old Town, pay a visit to the Ancient Agora and the Western Archeological Zone or simply pause in one of the islands popping out cafes and restaurants to soak up some sun rays and feel the flow of time. Independent boutique stores, Greek designer shops and globally-renowned brands can be found all over the shopping area of Kos, which is extended around Konitsis square, Ippokratous, Venizelou and Vasileos Pavlou streets. The port of Kos, used by both tourist vessels as well as ferries making routes towards the mainland and other nearby islands, is located in the heart of Kos town too.
One of the busiest areas and very popular thanks to its position - close to the city center, that is. Found on the northwest side of Kos town, basically its continuity, about 4 kilometres away, Lambi offers easy-to-access sandy beaches and lush greenery. The wider area is also known as Nea Alikarnassos. Along its flat road, visitors will stumble upon numerous beach bars, cafes, restaurants, rental offices, travel agencies, water sports, and other useful facilities. Cycling is ideal for those who wish to get to Lambi, following the coastal road of Kos, using the convenient bike lanes. Further away, following the broad road of Faros (also found written as Aigaiou Str.), visitors are able to reach Tigaki through a backroad, in about 7 kilometres.
Quieter during winter and clearly more lively during summer, Psalidi is mostly a seaside settlement about 4-5 kilometres from Kos town known for its seafood taverns, few bars and restaurants. Shopping may not be exactly on offer, but there are stores to purchase beach essentials or any sort of hotel supplies. Beaches are available in order to soak up some sun in some parts, yet they are not the area’s strongest feature. The area of Psalidi is also perfect for a walk, a run or a bike ride, since it offers an extended bike lane throughout, separated from the main road. The wetland of Psalidi is a natural shelter for rare and exotic birds in the area (including the pretty pink flamingos) and is positioned somewhere between the area's serene and busy pebbled coasts.
The area Agios Fokas is found around 4 kilometres, continuing further away from Psalidi. The rich-in-sulphur thermal hot springs of Kos are found here, also known as Therma or Empros Thermes. Therma beach is kind of downwards, surrounded by rocks, forming a dramatic and natural landscape.
Platani is widely known for its few but noteworthy restaurants offering delicious Turkish cuisine, kebabs and other eastern delights. There is a lively muslim community in the settlement of Platani and a hard-to-miss mosque (that of Gazi Hassan Pasha), built in 1778 by the Algerian Gazi Hassan Pasha. To reach the world-famous Asklepieion of Kos, visitors need to follow the road through Platani’s central square, southwest of Kos town.